Friday, March 7, 2008

Dealing.

I managed through the day without baking any bread. I did however share some of the delicious brioche buns with my co-workers, and I ate one myself. I think it's a good sign that I was able to show this level of restraint. Tomorrow though, that's a whole 'nother day and I can already feel the symptoms of Bread Making Disease creeping up on me. All day, actually it began last night, I have been itching to try the No-Knead Pizza Dough. If I do succumb to this afflictiom of mine, I will be sure to take pictures.


On with today's list, a bit of a follow up to yesterday's entry.


Top 5 Ways to Deal with a Flour Shortage.


1. Stockpile as much flour as is humanly possible. This may involve replacing some furniture with Rubermaid totes filled with bags of flour. Oh well, the kid's mattresses probably are due to be replaced anyway.

2. Becoming close, personal friend's with a wheat farmer ... or two.

3. Finding alternatives to wheat flour. I know there are alternatives, I'm just unsure as to how they would bake up. Once wheat flour becomes more of a commodity, will alternate flours also become more costly and harder to obtain?

4. Selling off small amounts of stockpiled flour and or baked goodies at a large profit, in order to support my own habit.

5. Growing wheat in the back yard and teaching my children the value of hard work by having them mill the wheat into flour for their loving mother.



My mind is racing, I know there are many, many other ways to combat the horror of a possible flour shortage, however these are the top five so far. Suggestions are welcome. As an avid baker with fans to please and a very bad case of Bread Making Disease, flour is almost as important as breathing. I can't imagine not always having a big cannister of flour waiting for me in the kitchen.

No comments: