Monday, April 7, 2008

Lime & Lime Again

In the beginning, there was pie.



After a couple of viewings of Waitress over the weekend I now have pie recipes dancing in my head and my baking demon needed to be fed, so today there was a modification of a lime meringue pie recipe I found online. I used a purchased crust, due to not having any graham crumbs. I reduced the sugar in the filling by a 1/2 cup and added about a tablespoon of toasted coconut. Oh, and I skipped the meringue and went for whipped cream with a sprinkle of lime zest. I thought it was very tasty, and the kids must have agreed as there is only half a pie left. Next time I'll try more lime juice, or maybe key limes, to bump up the limeyness. I think it will be a perfect summer dessert. Oooh, it would also make really awesome tarts. The colour is a little off, but that's probably because I left out the food colouring.


Lime Pie Filling, my adaptation:

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup cornstarch
3 egg yolks
2 tsp, butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups boiling water
2 tsp lime zest

Combine sugar, cornstarch, water and lime juice in a medium saucepan, whisk until smooth. Stir in yolks and butter until well combined, gradually add boiling water. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce and simmer for 1 minute, remove from heat. Add zest and pour filling into crust. Bake 15 minutes @ 350 F. Chill and serve topped with whipped cream.


Today also brought cupcake recipe experimentation. Of course, I had to use up the egg whites left over from the pie, so Pink Lemonade Cupcakes, were the logical choice. Being that I am not always logical, I instead went with Mojito Cupcakes, a variation I dreamed up that I have been dying to try. I substituted frozen limeade concentrate for the pink lemonade concentrate, added rum extract to the batter and topped them off with a mint butter cream frosting and lime zest. My daughters quite liked them and I will be taking a few off to work tomorrow for my guinea pigs friends.



My next adventure in lime will probably be this cupcake.


(Note: I have no idea what is going on with the text spacing, maybe it's on my end. Hopefully it's just some temporary blogger glitch.)

1 comment:

kelly.dee said...

I didn't even see you today!

The pie/cuppy's look great!